Things to Know
|Prepration time||60 minutes|
|Cooking time||30 minutes|
|Occasion||Evening snakes, Parties|
|Total Fat||5.8g per kulcha|
Chole Kulche recipe:
Chole kulche is one of the most famous street food recipe sold in north India. Chole kulche is recipe from Punjab Amritsar, that’s why this recipe is also called as Amritsari kulcha recipe. In my blog I am going to tell you guys how you can make matar chole kulche at home.
Ingredients for Chole
Chickpeas or Kabuli Channa – 1 1/2 cups
Water – 4 cups or just enough to cover
To be ground to a smooth paste-
Bay leaf – 1 medium
Black cardamom, with the outer covering removed 1
Green cardamom pods, with the covering removed2
Cinnamon stick 1” piece
Black pepper 1/2 tsp
Star anise – 1
Cloves – 4
Indian spices use in chole
Coriander seed powder – 4 tsp ( I added whole coriander 2 tsp)
Cumin seed powder 1 tsp
Red chili powder 1 tsp
Turmeric powder 1/2 tsp
Fresh ginger 2 tsp
Green chilies 2
Fresh coriander or cilantro 2 tbsp
For the seasoning-
Oil + ghee – 4 tsp
Shahi jeera or black cumin seeds – 3/4 tsp
Asafetida powder / Hing a pinch
Salt to taste
Instructions how to Make the Matar chole
- Heat a pan and add 2 tablespoons of oil in it. Now, add 1 teaspoon of ginger-garlic paste and ¼ teaspoon of turmeric powder in the pan. Stir them and add 1 teaspoon of coarsely ground coriander, 1 teaspoon of red chilli powder, 1 teaspoon of chaat masala and 1 teaspoon of cumin seeds.
- Cook the spices for a minute and then add boiled white peas in the pan.
- Stir all the ingredients well.
- Now, add the ground masala (which we ground previously in a paste) with the white peas and mix well.
- After mixing the ingredients well add 1/4 cup of tamarind water and salt to taste in the pan. Mix all the ingredients in the pan well and after some time add about a cup of water in it. Allow the ingredients to cook for 7-8 minutes.
- After 8 minutes, turn off the heat and take the Matar in a bowl.
The two important things you have to keep in mind while making Amritsari Kulcha.
- The dough should be sticky and wet.
- Your stuffing should be dry.
- Leaving the dough for proofing for an hour is very important to get the soft kulchas.
- Check the expiration of the yeast.
- Milk must be warm, around 110 to 115 degrees F.
Today, I am sharing Amritsari Kulcha recipe in oven and Kulcha on a stove top.
How to make Amritsari kulcha step by step
· Step 1
To prepare the dough, take a large bowl and sieve the flour in it. Add baking powder, baking soda, curd and refined oil in it. Add sugar and salt in the flour and mix it well with your fingers. Add warm milk in flour and knead the mixture to prepare a firm dough. Cover it with a wet cloth and keep it aside.
· Step 2
To make the stuffing for the kulcha, take boiled potato and mash it in a bowl. Combine finely chopped onions and green chilies with mashed potato. Add chat masala, coriander leaves, red chili powder and cumin powder in the mixture. Sprinkle salt and mix the ingredients with a spoon.
· Step 3
Now take the dough and divide it into two equal portions. Roll each portion into a ball and then flatten the ball using a rolling pin. Place a spoonful of aloo filling in the center of the flatten dough and close the kulcha well. Sprinkle some flour over it and roll it again into a paratha.
· Step 4
Take a non-stick pan, add olive oil in it and heat it over medium flame. When oil bubbles start to rise, gently place the kulcha in pan and cook for a minute. Flip the kulcha and cook the other side till both sides turn crispy and golden brown in colour. Once done, serve hot with Amritsari Chole