Things to know about malai kofta
|Cooking time||40 minutes|
|Total Fat||15.4 g|
Malai Kofta recipe
Malai Kofta recipe is a very popular India specially in north India dish & undoubtedly tops the list of foods ordered at Indian restaurants. Malai stands gravy mixed with cream and kofta is a fried dumpling of mashed potatoes (so many people use lauki ka kofta),Paneer or other vegetables.
Malai Kofta traces it origin to the Mughlai cuisine, where the dumplings were generally made of some kind of non veg like mutton keema or kofta is like keema balls. After following that recipe its became pure vegetarian recipe.
There are many varieties of Kofta Recipes and other popular ones include lauki ka Kofta, Shahi Kofta etc. The main difference comes from the ingredients used in making the kofta, as well as slightly variations in the gravy preparation.
Ingredients for veggie cheese balls
|· 1 cup boiled and shredded potatoes|
|· 1 cup shredded paneer (Indian Cheese)|
|· 1 cup boiled & mashed mixed veggies ( I used ½ cup cauliflower and ½ cup green peas. You can easily use carr ots, green beans.)|
|· Paste from 2-4 green chilies or as per taste|
|· 1- 1.5 tsp coriander powder|
|· ½ tsp cumin powder|
|· ½ tsp red chili powder|
|· 1-2 tbsp chopped cilantro|
|· Salt to taste|
|· Corn starch for coating|
|· Vegetable oil for frying (I used canola oil)|
|· *You can also use mixed variety of nuts if you are into that sort of thing.|
|· 2 tsp olive oil|
|· 1+1/4 cup red onion, chopped|
|· ½ tsp salt|
|· 1 tbsp ginger paste|
|· 1 tbsp garlic paste|
|· ½ tsp turmeric powder|
|· 2 tomatoes, chopped|
|· ½-1 tsp red chili powder or as per taste|
|· 2 tsp coriander powder|
|· 1 tsp cumin powder|
|· 1 tsp olive oil|
|· 1 tsp cumin seeds|
|· ½-3/4 cup fat free half & half|
How to make malai kofta recipe at home
- To make the kofta:
- Boil potatoes, peel and mash them.
- Grind the cashew nuts into a paste.
- Mix the mashed potatoes, cashew nut paste, grated paneer, chopped green chillies, coriander leaves and salt.
- Heat ghee in a frying pan, on a low flame.
- Cook the mixture until it becomes almost dry.
- Shape them into balls.
- Make a paste of gram flour, salt and water.
- Dip the balls in the paste and deep fry them till they become golden-brown.
- Keep the koftas aside.
- To make the gravy: Fry chopped garlic, ginger, onion, coconut, cinnamon, cloves, cardamoms, red chilli, one by one .
- Grind them with the poppy seeds into a fine mixture.
- Heat ghee and fry this mixture for 10-15 minutes.
- If it gets sticky, add milk.
- Pour hot gravy over the koftas just before serving.