Things to know about dahi Bhalla
|Preparation time||1 day|
|Making time||30 minutes|
|Total Fat||3.81 g|
Dahi Bhalla recipe
Dahi bhalla recipe is a north Indian version of Vada. It’s a quite different method to make Dahi vada as south indian do because this is dahi bhalla. This version though I have tasted many times, never tried on my own. I learnt this recipe from my co sister, during our casual talk , while having lunch together. It turned out super tasty and we all finished the entire bowl within no time. You can make vadas in advance and just serve them with curd and chutneys just before eating. we can also called it Dahi bhalle in punjabi style.
Ingredients for Recipe
|Split Black Gram||3/4 cup|
|Ginger chopped||1 inch piece|
|Green chillies chopped||2|
|Gram flour (besan)||2 tablespoons|
|Oil||to deep fry|
|Rock salt (sendha namak)||1 teaspoon|
|Green chutney||as required|
|Sweet date and tamarind chutney||as required|
|Roasted cumin powder||2 teaspoons|
|Fresh coriander leaves||2 tablespoons|
Tips to Make Soft Bhalla
When I first started making them, my dahi bhalle won’t be soft.
Once, they even burst into oil, yeah I have had my share of kitchen disasters.
But over the years, I have learnt some tips which make the softest and fluffiest dahi bhalla and I am excited to share those with you guys!
Use half moong and half urad dal: like I said, my mother-in-law does this and I have learnt this from her. If you prefer a more prominent urad dal flavor, you can do 75% urad dal and 25% moong dal.
But I do 50-50!
Do not add a lot of water to grind the dal: just enough the grind them to a thick paste.
Don’t forget salt in batter: when grinding the batter, remember to add salt to it.
Beat the batter using stand mixer: very important to aerate the batter and for that I usually use my stand mixer.
You can use your hand mixer or even use a whisk and mix with your hands until batter looks fluffy.
Once whisked well, batter will change color and become lighter, look aerated and almost double in size.
To test if it’s done, drop some batter in a bowl full of water, the batter should float. Which means it’s light and airy and ready for frying.
How to make dahi bhalla
- Soak the dal for 2 hrs in water and keep aside.
- Then take out extra water and add all the ingredients of the bhalle except oil and grind it into a mixture.
- Mix all the filling ingredients in a bowl.
- In a kadai heat oil for frying.
- Now take a tablespoon of the mixture on your palm and then flatten it out.
- Place some filling in the centre.
- Now with the help of water close the sides of the mixture on the hand. It should look like a half moon.
- Place them in the hot oil and fry then till golden crisp.
- Now dip them in some water for ½ hour.
- Beat the yogurt and add milk and sugar to it.
- Gently squeeze water from the bhalle and place them in half the beaten yogurt mixture.
- Now in a serving plate lay out the dahi and bhalla and then pour some beaten dahi on them and sprinkle some jeera powder and black salt powder and some sweet tamarind chutney.
- Garnish dahi bhalle with pomegranate seeds and serve immediately.