Chicken handi recipe
Chicken handi is not very different from regular chicken; ingredients are the same the only variation lies in the cooking pot. Chicken is cooked in a pot made by clay that’s why its name is handi which alters the flavor of the dish from normal chicken and also adds the delectable aroma in it.
What is chicken Handi?
I am telling you guys my story how I got a chance to familiar with this recipe, I never have this recipe in restaurants or any hotel, I don’t know that the restaurants people really know about this recipe how it really cooked, because I eat this recipe luck by chance in my village, Handi means Cooking pot made by clay or soil. They (villagers) cooked chicken in that pot that’s why this recipe is called handi chicken. And trust me this recipe is so amazing to taste, I am going to tell you whole process how to make chicken handi. I preferred Rice with handi chicken. This is one of my favorite chicken recipes.
- Chicken – 1 or 1,5 kg, bone-in & skinless, pieces should be medium
- Onion – 6, large, thinly sliced
- Tomatoes – 3, finely chopped
- Ginger Garlic paste – 2 tbsp.
- Vegetable/mustard oil – 5 tbsp.
- Cumin seeds – 3 tsp
- Coriander seeds – 2 tsp
- Turmeric powder – 2 tsp
- Kashmiri chili powder – 1 tsp
- Green chili – 3 to 4 (adjust per your taste), chopped
- Yogurt – 1 cup, beaten messed properly
- Cream – 3 tsp
- Dried fenugreek (Kasoori methi) – 2 tsp
- Garam masala – 2 tsp
- Salt to taste
Instructions: How to cook chicken handi recipe
- Take a large pot to depend on your chicken quantity big enough to cook all the chicken, and heat the oil in it. Once the oil is hot, add sliced onion and fry them until it looks golden brown. Then take them out on a plate and put inside for further use.
- To the same pot, add the ginger-garlic paste and sauté for a minute. Then add the chopped tomatoes and cook until tomatoes looked like gravy. This would take about 8 to 10 minutes.
- Then return the fried onion to the pot and stir and saute well.
- Now add the cumin seeds, half of the coriander seeds and chopped 4 green chilies. Give them a quick stir on high flame.
- Next goes in the spices – turmeric powder and red chili powder. Sauté the spices well for 5 minutes on medium flame.
- Add the chicken pieces to the wok, season it with salt to taste and cook the chicken covered on medium-low heat until the chicken is almost cooked through. This would take about 16 to 20 minutes. Slowly sautéing the chicken will enhance the flavor, so do not expedite this step by putting it on high heat.
- When the oil separates from the spices, add the messed yogurt keeping the heat on lowest so that the yogurt doesn’t split. Sprinkle the remaining coriander seeds and add half of the dried fenugreek leaves. Mix well on medium flame.
- Finally, add the cream and give a final mix to combine everything well.
Sprinkle the remaining Kasturi methi and garam masala and serve the handi chicken hot with rice or chapattis. Enjoy!